Local Energy Scotland - Let’s Do Net Zero Community Buildings
The Scottish Government’s Community and Renewable Energy Scheme (CARES) is here to support communities to engage with, participate in and benefit from the energy transition to net zero emissions. The Fund will help community organisations reduce their building energy costs and greenhouse gas emissions.
Funding is available for many types of community buildings, including:
- community cafes
- community hubs
- faith buildings
- public halls
- community halls and centres.
CARES supports communities to engage, participate and benefit in the energy transition to net zero. They will support projects that:
- accelerate the uptake of community and locally owned renewable energy, to meet Scotland’s 2030 2GW ambition
- support community involvement in local energy systems that lead to new installations of locally owned renewable energy generation
- support shared ownership projects (where a community group invests in a commercial renewable energy project)
- assist communities to maximise the impact from community benefit funds through community consultation, action planning and good governance.
Premium information is available exclusively to SCVO members and supporters
Geographical areas funded: Scotland
- Type of funding:
- Grant, Loan
- Type of cost:
- Capital, Revenue
Fund award sizes
- Premium information
- Notes on award amounts:
- Premium information
Who can apply
Applicants must be constituted non-profit distributing community organisations, including organisations with charitable status, that are established and operating across a geographically defined community (‘local community organisations’) or faith groups.
When to apply
The fund is planned to run until the end of March 2025, subject to funding availability.
How to apply
Apply online via the Local Energy Scotland website. You should get an energy audit from Business Energy Scotland, an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) or a feasibility study to justify your choice of technology. Full details are available in the fund guidelines.
Activites funded: Environment Research
Beneficiaries funded: Local communities
Last reviewed about 2 months ago
Local Energy Scotland
2nd Floor, Ocean Point 1, 94 Ocean Drive, Edinburgh, EH6 6JH
Similar funds from other funders
Funding Scotland Premium feature
This feature is only available to SCVO member and supporter organisations.